The Donker Puncher
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Donker Puncher

This is a place where you may grace the Donkey Puncher's presence. I talk smack about pretty much anything and everything. If you don't like what I say then get the hell out.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Home On The Range: A Dying Breed

Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Donkey Puncher
Admin
The Donkey Puncher

Home On The Range: A Dying Breed Empty
PostSubject: Home On The Range: A Dying Breed   Home On The Range: A Dying Breed Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 10:35 am

I haven't wrote for awhile and am calming down at my older age so if this blog is a little soft then fuck off and deal with it.....

I've really been in deep thoughts lately on how I feel about my country, it's values and how far different my community is to that of other communities in other states. Living in a small town in Kansas has many advantages but I am feeling that the old time "western" values and morals we have held here for a very long time are being lost forever.

In my small town, many people are not well informed of issues and politics in the national level. Many here in my community still beleive in when someone says something, they mean it. They beleive that what is theirs is theirs and if you try to take it from them then they can defend it without consequence. Many men here in my community still open doors for women and say "no problem ma'am" when being thanked by her. A handshake still means something and being a best friend means being a brother. I'm sad to say that many of these values are dying in my community.

I noticed this at first when I came back home from the military about 9 years ago. Perhaps it was because my community is made up of many WWII and Vietnam vets who hold old time values. When coming back I guess I could say I saw things in the same light as those who entered service before me. I was welcomed with open arms by my brotheren but I could see something I never saw in my community before and perhaps that was because I was ignorant of those values held by the majority of my community when I was younger. What I saw was something that I could only describe as myself before I entered service.

Now I was an honery teenager who drank booze and divulged into pot once in awhile. No one ever heard of Meth during those years and pulling highschool pranks was something made of legends. Driving around town at night and trying to hook up with girls was the average Friday night in my community for a teenage boy. Baseball and football were the choice of sports and teenage arrest were far and few. Parents dealt out punishments with groundings, taking away things or straight up getting a woopin' with a belt. When I came back home, it had all changed.

I first noticed it when I had a few beers with a friend after coming home. He didn't look like the same person I knew. He was skinier but in a sickly way. His face was pale and his teeth did not look like he had been taking care of them. I asked what was wrong and he shrugged it off. I didn't press the issue. I asked a different friend what was wrong with him. He told me meth. I saw another friend, same thing. Out of the 9 good friends I had all but 1 were meth addicts. I tried to speak with them and it seemed as though our friendships had ended for it did not seem as though I was viewed as a friend anymore. So I have one true good friend.

Then I started noticing other things in my community. Kids were downright rude to elderly people. Kids were talking back to their parents and cussing them out, even hitting them! The parent did nothing. The parent gave in. I thought if it would of been me as the child I would of gotten a whoopin' right there in the store. My mind was not understanding how this was happening.

Then I started reading the paper more. I started seeing parents being arrested for hosting "kid parties". At first I was thinking wow, wish I had those kind of parents as a kid. But then I read on and there were drugs confiscated and sex related things. Later on you started seeing the kids involved being arrested as very young adults for Meth, DUI's, battery, domestic violence. I felt like I was in a different town.

My observations on seeing so many kids drop out of highschool and roaming the town everyday with no job and looking like bums was what really started getting to me. Over the last 5 years the numbers have grown. My state tax dollars keep going up and up to provide for these people that I see everyday. It pisses me off.

I'm growing old, getting tired of seeing what I served my country for leaving my area. Where did the values go? Where did the morals go? What happened to my home on the range?
Back to top Go down
https://donkeypuncher.board-directory.net

Home On The Range: A Dying Breed
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Donker Puncher :: Donkey Puncher's Blogs-
Jump to: